What is Data Virtualization (DV)?
Data Virtualization is an advanced approach to data integration. Data Virtualization is an easier way to integrate, federate and transform data from multiple data sources into a single unified environment in real time. With Data Virtualization you’re not just collecting different data sources (such as ETL, ESB, and other middleware) but connecting them and leveraging existing Data Warehouse, Big Data lakes, or different data infrastructure(s) already in place.
Therefore, Data Virtualization has the ability to provide a holistic view of the business operations and quickly help identify new value possibilities. Please note, the data can easily be accessed or shared by other applications, without replicating the data through the “virtual” metadata layer.
Examples of when Data Virtualization (DV) is suitable
Read this DV whitepaper to learn more about this technology, its capabilities, & see how it can help your business.
Mergers or Acquisitions
BA & BI
“By 2020, organizations utilizing data virtualization as a data delivery style will spend 45% less than those who do not… ”
– Gartner Market Guide for Data Virtualization (2018-2019)
Data Virtualization (DV) Benefits
- Quickly combine multiple and scattered data sources as query-able services that can be accessed as needed
- Improve productivity in IT and by business data users (50%-90%) since users will have access to the data they need when they need it
- Improve quality and eliminate latency of data through reusable “virtual” layers and metadata
- Can reduce maintenance and operational costs by removing the costs associated with populating and maintaining Data Warehouse
- Less hardware infrastructure (lower costs and maintenance)
Additional Benefits with EE
- Single Integrated Development Environment to configure, test, deploy, and monitor data virtualizations
- Incorporates Agile ETL too, which means leveraging the federation capabilities and logic for ETL to physically populate a destination
- End-user awareness and security using multiple security models
- Proprietary AppComm™ that communicates live directly and natively between the endpoints and the Transformation Engine
- One click write-back capabilities with security and transaction assurance for actionable dashboards and portals with minimal to no manual coding requirements.
- Multiple User Constituencies (Business Analysts, Developers, DBAs)
Do you need Data Virtualization (DV)?
- Is data prep time delaying your business’ ability to make decisions and take advantage of opportunities? Data Virtualization is ideal for situations where data demands change quickly and where access to the data in real time could be critical to business outcomes
- Is your data dispersed and does some of it reside outside your firewall or the cloud? Data Virtualization provides access to all of your data sources, allowing you to federate and align all of these sources into a single consumable data model
- Are infrastructure and maintenance costs for data warehousing and storage too high?Because we don’t create duplications of data with Data Virtualization, you eliminate most of the costs associated with traditional data management
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then you need Data Virtualization